A bar opening checklist is used to make sure that you have clear opening procedures for the bar. Hence, building out a repeatable daily opening checklist for the bar will keep your staff accountable. For a smooth operation at your bar and to ensure the bar’s profitability, it is extremely important that your bartenders are aware of their responsibilities. And that they are always in sync with each other.
Therefore, the best way to confirm a high level of performance from your team is to have a bartender duties checklist in place. And this is the major part of bar manager duties. Firstly, the bar manager should make a quick property check for any visible damage. Then he/she can proceed to go through the bar opening checklist. These checks don’t need to be done in a specific order, but all must be completed prior to opening to make sure smooth functioning of the bar.
There are some tasks which can be completed by the bartender for opening the bar:
- Unlock beer & wine coolers & taps
- Place floor mats behind the bar
- Stock & ice down bottle beer & wine
- Cut lemon wheels, wedges and twists, lime wedges, orange wheels and celery
- Check all inventory back-ups
- Make sure chairs are set accordingly
- Clean beer faucets with sanitiser
- Put beer tap caps in sanitiser
- Likewise, set out damp bar towels
- Check liquor, beer and wine backups for each service well and back bar
- Turn on music, bar TV, etc
- Check if tables, bathrooms, and bar floor is clean
Having a daily opening checklist for the bar is the sound and most effective way to communicate these responsibilities to your team of bartenders. As a result, will make staff more accountable towards their job. It will also make it easier for the staff at the bar you have by using the bar opening checklist. Most importantly, it creates a highly functional and professional environment.