Food poisoning can be defined as an illness caused by eating contaminated food or by eating food that contains harmful bacteria. The most common symptoms of food poisoning are- vomiting, diarrhoea, and abdominal cramps sometimes headache and fever.
There can be many reasons behind the spread of food poisoning among the customers-
- Ignorance about the rules of hygiene
- Carelessness or negligence while preparing the food
- Likewise, the poor standard of equipment’s
- Also, the chemical sprays used on the vegetables and fruits
- The presence of harmful bacteria can be the other cause
- Improper temperature control
- Use of chemical present in the kitchen such as drain cleaner, bleaches and strong acids
If a bunch of customers complains about food poisoning as a result of eating contaminated food from your cafe, restaurant or fast food outlet then it is necessary for your staff members to maintain a food poisoning report. This food poisoning report can act as an inspection log for the authorities at the time of the investigation.
Therefore, a good food poisoning report must include the following information-
- By asking the customers for their permission to write down details that will help you thoroughly investigate the incident.
- Record the time and date that the customer delivered the complaint
- The complainant’s name and contact information
- How many people are allegedly ill
- Which foods were eaten and when
- Which foods the customer suspects caused the illness (for each person, if necessary)
- Food poisoning symptoms
- When the symptoms started to occur and so on.
Above all, your aim here must be to convey empathy without appearing overly apologetic, defensive, or otherwise indicating to the customer that your food may be at fault. Moreover, the manager should promise that he/she will investigate the complaint immediately and contact them shortly with updates. In addition, ensure the customers that they will get the best customer service with the safest food.