Restaurant Daily Cleaning Schedule
Now more than ever, restaurant hygiene is crucial. Not just because of COVID, but because it’s the key to getting and retaining current and new customers. If your restaurant cleanliness drops, it will greatly impact your customer experience. That’s why restaurant cleaning checklists are becoming so important.
Why would you need a daily cleaning schedule?
A daily cleaning schedule is a handy tool since you can refer to it to ensure that cleaning procedures in your restaurant are being performed daily.
The best daily restaurant checklist for cleaning needs to be separated into different categories, such as the time of the day (early morning, afternoon, or evening), or sectioned based on the restaurant area (e.g., kitchen tasks, bathroom tasks, front of house tasks). This will help you focus on one area at a particular time, so you check tasks off the list as you proceed.
Essentially, a daily restaurant cleaning schedule is the best way to stay organized and keep you on track when it comes to carrying out basic cleaning around your restaurant.
Structuring and designing your daily cleaning schedule
When structuring and designing your daily cleaning schedule template, make sure it’s specific and unambiguous. Detail everything your staff members have to clean, like equipment and surfaces, the chemicals they should use, and the frequency of cleaning surfaces and equipment. Every staff member has to adhere to the cleaning schedule.
You need to outline the safety precautions staff member should adhere to when carrying out their cleaning duties. Also, establish who will ensure that the staff has met all cleaning standards and communicate the point person with all staff.
To get an idea of what needs cleaning in the restaurant, walk around your establishment. While walking, monitor the items that need disinfection, like those that come into contact with food products that could lead to cross-contamination.
To design a restaurant daily cleaning template, answer the following questions:
- Which items and surfaces require regular cleaning?
- Which chemicals are necessary for the process?
- Which equipment will be used, and how?
- Which staff member is responsible for the cleaning of the items, area, and surfaces?
What should this daily cleaning schedule contain?
A daily cleaning schedule needs to contain the cleaning tasks that should be completed regularly. These tasks include:
Restaurant Kitchen Cleaning Checklist
- Cleaning out of grease traps
- Changing the foil lining of grill, flattop, range
- Washing can openers
- Cleaning and disinfecting all prep surface areas, including cutting boards
- Cleaning and soaking all beverage dispenser heads at soda stations
- Cleaning and sanitizing all sinks
- Laundering of rags, towels, aprons, chef coat, and uniforms
- Wiping down other appliances like coffee makers, toasters, and microwaves
- Wiping down and sanitizing down recycling bins
- Emptying and clean grease traps
- Sweeping and mopping all floors, including walk-ins, storage areas, and refrigerators
- Refilling any soap or hand sanitizer dispenser
Restaurant Front of House Cleaning Checklist
- Wiping down walls
- Cleaning and sanitizing tables
- Cleaning and sanitizing all menus
- Inspecting, wiping down, and sanitizing condiments and salt/pepper shakers on tables
- Laundering all napkins, tablecloths, and aprons
- Taking out trash and recycling
- Sweeping and mopping floors
- Vacuuming carpets
- Cleaning and sanitizing bathrooms
- Cleaning and sanitizing door handles
What are the goals of this daily cleaning schedule?
The goals of the daily cleaning checklist include:
- Staying organized
- Delegating cleaning tasks to your staff members
- Keeping the kitchen equipment clean and improving their lifespan
- Maintaining a clean restaurant
- Enforcing a HACCP plan to keep the restaurant sanitary and safe
Why using such a checklist would be beneficial for your business.
Checklists are invaluable tools, a business establishment since they:
- Improve efficiency: When you follow a comprehensive checklist, you’ll reduce or eliminate the time you spend deciding what to clean and at what time.
- Saving time: By designing a checklist, you’ll save the time you would’ve spent creating a to-do list and cleaning a specific area that could wait until another time.
- Reduce distractions: Instead of cleaning specific area items that you could reserve for weekly or monthly cleaning, you can consult your checklist and have a better idea of what cleaning tasks need your urgent attention and how to perform the cleaning task. A cleaning checklist helps you eliminate distractions by forcing you to only perform tasks on the list.
- Enforcing consistency: Checklists enforce consistency and ensure that certain cleaning tasks are completed on time. If something goes amiss, you’ll know exactly where the problem is and correct it.
Why using digital for such a checklist would be beneficial for your business
The adoption of a digital checklist will help you comply with different restaurant procedure and verify the passage through various steps. Other benefits of adopting digital checklists for your business include:
- Saving time in execution and centralization of cleaning processes
- Improving communication between staff
- Simplified updates
- Better accessibility
- More sustainable than paper checklists
What would happen if you didn’t have a checklist in place?
A checklist is a crucial document for any establishment. Without it, businesses won’t be able to maximize success.
In the hospitality sector, the lack of a cleaning checklist means cleaning tasks will get delayed. The result of such actions is a dirty restaurant, which customers distaste.
Also, a checklist helps in the communication and coordination of different tasks. It helps to prevent distractions, poor communication between staff, and reduced overall productivity.
If you want to save time, reduce distractions, encourage consistency, and improve efficiency, we recommend you design a great restaurant checklist, whether it’s for cleaning tasks or management. With the help of a checklist, you’ll observe an increased business organization and productivity.